Flag of the Isle of Wight
|Flag of the Isle of Wight|
|Designed by||John Graney|
|Variant flag of the Isle of Wight|
|Name||County council flag|
|Design||Castle and three gold anchors on blue background|
The Flag of the Isle of Wight was adopted and registered in January 2009.
In 2007 an Isle of Wight Flag Committee was founded to create a flag for the Isle of Wight. The Committee ran a public competition in association with the County Press newspaper to design a flag for the island. They received over 350 entries. These were whittled down to a shortlist of four designs which the public then had an opportunity to vote on. 
The winning design was by John Graney. It was registered by the Flag Institute on 9 January 2009. Although the Isle of Wight is not a traditional county in accordance with the Flag Institute’s expressed criteria, nevertheless the flag has been described as a “county flag”, reflecting the island’s distinct identity.
In April 2009 the new flag was officially launched and replaced the older design on top of County Hall.
Isle of Wight Council flag
Before this competition, the Council flag was the only popularly known flag for the island. The Council flag is taken from the Isle of Wight Arms granted in 1928. The castle featured representsCarisbrooke Castle, the seat of historical Governors. The blue surrounding field and three gold anchors represent the Island status and maritime history. The Council flag can only be used by the Council on buildings of local government. Until the new island flag was registered, the Island’s team at events such as the International Island Games used only the Union Flag, or on occasion St George’s Cross.